Research has concluded that the 3pm slump most Americans experience is a very real phenomenon. Afternoon tiredness not only affects our productivity, but also our mood and the overall work environment. Luckily, researchers have also found multiple ways to manipulate diet, sleep, and daily habits in order to overcome the 3pm slump.
What You Eat:
- Eating too much can cause you to feel extra sleepy, so make sure to properly portion your lunch.
- Too many carbs & sugary foods can cause your blood sugar to spike and then crash leaving you tired and hungry.
- Make sure you are consuming adequate protein to maintain your energy and satiety.
- Do not skip meals or snacks. Consuming small, balanced snacks 2-3 hours before and after lunch will help you to feel more energized and less likely to overeat during meal time.
What You Drink:
- Dehydration can lead to fogginess. Make sure you are drinking at least 64 oz of water a day.
- Limit your caffeine to help you sleep better, lower your anxiety, and have an overall better mood. Try not to drink caffeine after 3pm with no more than 2 cups of coffee a day.
How You Move & Sleep:
- If you are getting tired at your desk, get up and move around. Try going for a walk after lunch or taking a quick trip to the gym in the afternoon.
- Make sure that you are getting plenty of sleep, but not too much. It is recommended that the average adult get between 7-8 hours of sleep per night.