Whenever I think of Fall, I immediately think of pumpkins. They are everywhere from the pumpkin patches to pumpkin pie. As much as I love pumpkin sweets, there are very few healthy options to making any kind of pumpkin treat. So in the spirit of pumpkin season, I give you a recipe for a healthy version of pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (Makes 12 muffins; Prep time: 15 minutes; Cook time: 30 minutes)
- 1 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix whole wheat flour, brown sugar, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Combine eggs, canned pumpkin, Greek yogurt, canola oil, and vanilla with your dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spray muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Fill each muffin cup approximately ¾ full with batter.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until muffin tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes.